It’s Super Bowl Sunday! It’s become a LuDawgs tradition for everyone on the boards to take a stab at making our community’s world class chili recipe, “Pirate Chili”. A few years ago, we made the decision to provide our world class, world famous, award winning chili recipe to the LuDawgs family. We hated doing this because without a shadow of a doubt, we knew it would get leaked and people would take our hard work – and years of perfection – and pawn it off as their own. But we’re past that. This dish has become the LuDawgs staple recipe and now we pass it along to you. Let’s get it on!
Pirate Chili (winner of 5 consecutive chili cook-off championships. No lie)
This is the best damn chili you’ve ever had. Don’t share it. This is a Pirate secret.
1) 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil (to saute the onions in)
2) 1 medium sweet yellow onion (about the size of a baseball, chop it into pieces about the size of your pinky fingernail…sorry, not good with sizes LOL)
3) 3 tablespoons of chopped garlic (the kind in the jar, you can find it over in the produce section…don’t get the real garlic cloves)
4) 3.5 tablespoons of chili powder
5) 2 tablespoons of paprika
6) 1 tablespoon of cumin
7) 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red cyan pepper
7) A pinch of red pepper flakes
7) 2 teaspoons dried oregano
8) 1 pound ground beef (93/7…or something lean, fat isn’t needed…the less grease the better)
9) 1 pound of Italian sausage (not the kind in the links, the kind that looks like ground sausage)
10) 2 teaspoons of Kosher salt (Kosher is important, don’t use table salt)
11) 2 cans of crushed tomatoes with Puree – 28 oz cans! Two of them. (I found that Hunts crushed tomatoes are the best)
12) 1 can of kidney beans (15oz can) drained
13) 1 can of your favorite baked beans. BBQ baked beans are the best, IMO.
14) 1 small can (looks kinda like a small tuna can) of chopped green chiles
15) A bag of fritos (pour fritos into a ziplock bag and crush it up into pieces)
16) 2 bushels of green onions
17) Cholula hot sauce (original…this is key…has a wooden top)
18) Sour Cream (not the non-fat shit….get the real deal)
19) Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Directions: Dump the 2 cans of crushed tomatoes, beans, all spices, garlic into a big ass pot and mix it up really well. You don’t need to have the heat on. Throw your onions into a stir fry pan with the oil and sauté them up until they’re nice and golden brown. It’ll look like a lot of onions, but if you got a baseball sized onion, dump them all in. Trust me. Throw your hamburger meat and your Italian sausage into the same pan and brown it up (open a beer and drink half of it while the meat cooks). Drain the oil that you can get rid of or just tilt the pan sideways and spoon the meat into the big stovetop pot with all of your tomato/spices etc. Put the lid on that badboy on low heat. Let it ride.
***IMPORTANT. There will be condensation that comes up onto the lid of the pot. Don’t dump the water into the pot when you take the lid off to stir it every now and then. Dump it in the sink! Drives me nuts****
After it’s cooked and is nice and hot, spoon a bowl full. Drop some cheddar cheese on it. Drop a dollop of sour cream right in the middle. Sprinkle some of those crushed Fritos all over the top. Chop up those green onions from earlier really fine and sprinkle those on top of the bowl you’re going to eat along with your Fritos. Hit it with a few shots of Cholula. Slam it with a dark beer while watching football.
DO NOT SCREW WITH THIS RECIPE. DON’T TRY TO GET CUTE AND ADD THIS OR THAT. MAKE IT EXACTLY THE WAY IT READS.
Want to read more about what others are saying? Check it out HERE in the forums. Let us know what you think!